Changes in ImageMagick versions (SVN)?

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
pwnedd

Changes in ImageMagick versions (SVN)?

Post by pwnedd »

Sorry to bring this one back up after so long, but, does anyone know how I can tell which MagickWand version number is associated with a particular change in http://www.imagemagick.org/script/changelog.php ?

It looks like the change relating to this particular problem is for the commit:
2010-09-13 6.6.4-2 Cristy <quetzlzacatenango@image...>
Don't negate the geometry offset for the -extent option.
I checked two different versions (one before and one after) and found the following:

6.6.2-6 => 1634
6.6.9-7 => 1641

So the version number for the commit should be somewhere between those two. I can probably just download the particular revision and compile it and check, but I thought I would ask first to see if there is a more straight-forward way to find out the version number.

Thanks!
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Changes in ImageMagick versions (SVN)?

Post by anthony »

Spliting topic into an obviously new topic.

The SVN commit number to version was a recent addition to the change log. It allows us to beter retrieve a secific version from the SVN, or compare code between the two.

However individual changes are often either part of a large set of changes, or sometimes spread over a number of commits as such the commits between the versions do not always represent specific changes. For that you will need to compare code between revisions.

SVN has ability to retrieve files for specific commits ('svn cat') and list the version numbers in which a specific file was updated ('svn log') and get differences ('svn diff'). I try to include appropriate log messages for most on my commits other than the most minor ones, but that is me.

However I tend to find using these low level command slow and annoying...

For comparing between versions or current version an specific version (or the HEAD if others have since committed), I like to use the python program "diffuse". This is SVN savvy, and will show the changes (includeing small character by character change) between two files, or svn revision(s). The display is side-by-side, using colors to show changes, and can even bring up more than two files/revisions at the same time!

For example... I use this command regualrly to see recent changes in the IMv6 command line API.

Code: Select all

diffuse -r HEAD wand/mogrify.c
To see whcih files in my svn is out of date I quite often use
svn status -u | grep '\*'
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/