Is there a mac dmg for IM or quick install option

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
artangco
Authentication code: 8675308

Is there a mac dmg for IM or quick install option

Post by artangco »

My problem is that I'd like to distribute ImageMagick along with my AIR application to clients desktops which could be windows and Macs. I know Macports installs ImageMagick but I can't ask my users to first get xcode and then install Macports and install ImageMagick which took about a good hour to complete. I'm looking for a quicker install experience for my end users. On windows I could find two binaries for IM and GS and I was all set. On a Mac things are a bit more complicated.

I found the binary distribution on ImageMagick website for Macs which works fine but it lacks wmf support which I need.

I'm willing to only target Snow Leopard for now to make things simpler.

Here're my questions:

1. How can I add the wmf support to the binary available on IM website for Macs.

2. I've installed using Macports with gs and wmf support. Is there a way for me to grab the files I need from that install for distribution? If so how would I go about doing that. Where are the files located after the install?

Thank you in advance for your help.
omgoleus
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Is there a mac dmg for IM or quick install option

Post by omgoleus »

Bump. I have ImageMagick installed from MacPorts, but I am trying to put together an installation package for students to use in a class on scientific computing for experimental psychology. I would like to use the precompiled binaries, but since it's not distributed as an installer, I have some confusion about the "export" steps.

Here is my specific question: the instructions for installing the precompiled binary includes "export"ing three environment variables: MAGICK_HOME, PATH, and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. My currently working macports installation obviously does have the PATH set to include the location where it installed ImageMagick, so I have no confusion about that. PATH I understand.

However, on the machine that has a working macports installation of ImageMagick, those other two environment variables are not set, and yet it works fine. So I want to know, what purpose do those serve? Specifically, do I need to have the students add those to their .profile, or will it work fine without them?

It would be nice to have this explained more clearly in the installation instructions. Those instructions are somewhat problematic because anyone who follows them will find that ImageMagick doesn't work anymore as soon as they open a new terminal! Because the instructions don't say anything about modifying .profile or whatever. Of course, even better would be a real installer... but more detailed information would be sufficient. :)
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Is there a mac dmg for IM or quick install option

Post by fmw42 »

I am no expert on this. I first started with the Mac Binary for IM when it was for Tiger. Unfortunately, the IM developers only have one Mac for compile, so they try to keep that current with the Mac OS, which is now at Lion. Currently I install all my delegates from MacPorts but install IM manually from source to keep it up to date.

Any way here are some notes I made from the early days when I was using the binary on Tiger. I don't know if this will help or not.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10442