EPS to JPG convert issue

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
buffym
Authentication code: 8675308

EPS to JPG convert issue

Post by buffym »

I'm having trouble converting some eps files to jpgs. I am using ImageMagick version 6.6.9-5 on Ubuntu 9.10.

The convert command:

convert test.eps test.jpg -produces a corrupt jpg file that displays in the browser as a black box.
convert test.eps test.tif -works

The same eps to jpg conversion works properly on IM 6.4.1 on my windows desktop.

Three sample eps files can be downloaded from here:
https://dev.imagerelay.com/sb/e9b458a6- ... 3139165098

Just click the arrow under the file name, and when you are given an option of "Download As: "Original (filename)" from the dropdown.

Other eps files are converting fine, it is just a small subset that are problematic.
anthony

Re: EPS to JPG convert issue

Post by anthony »

Perhaps it is because the image is CMYK colorspace, and JPEG needs a color profile to handle CMYK correctly.
TIFF probably can 'fudge' it.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
buffym

Post by buffym »

Hm, I will try adding a profile during the conversion and update, but I don't think that explains why it works in an earlier version of IM.

Update:
So, I can successfully convert the problematic eps files into RGB jpgs using this command:

convert test.eps -profile USWebCoatedSWOP.icc -profile sRGB.icm test.jpg

But, conversion to a cmyk jpg doesn't work using this command:

convert test.eps -profile USWebCoatedSWOP.icc test.jpg

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here.
anthony

Post by anthony »

IM will not receive any profiles from an EPS file due to the way IM uses ghostscript to convert a EPS (encapsulated postscript) As such you will need to specify two color profiles for the conversion. CMYK and sRGB
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
mabian

Post by mabian »

Hello all,

sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm in a very similar situation: colors in the output jpg are a little different from those in the input eps file, even looking at them on same monitor.

The target for jpg files is a web site, so I'd like to be sure about what are the most correct color profiles to use for the conversion.

I have found in the Windows <Common Files>\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended folder several profile (icc and icm) files. Among them:

USWebCoatedSWOP.icc and
sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

Are these the best ones that I can use for minimum color shifting in this situation?

Thank you,
Mario
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

USWebCoatedSWOP.icc and
sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

Are these the best ones that I can use for minimum color shifting in this situation?
In my (limited) experience, yes.