convert not always ovewriting output

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
cbonallo
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: convert not always ovewriting output

Post by cbonallo »

Now I am really confused. I used a blank folder and reran all the images so they did not have to overwrite and the same images are wrong again! They look nothing like the originals and when I do it as a one off it works just fine! Where could it be getting those images?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Is it possible that the file system has so many images that it cannot keep up with your processing? Have you tried putting a delay between processing of each image?
cbonallo

Post by cbonallo »

Could try that. However it does not explain the images that are there. They do not exist on the file system in the first place. Can image magic read the "deleted" images data on the file system? Windows Server 2003 R2.
cbonallo

Post by cbonallo »

Does IM have a temp area it could be holding onto images in?
anthony

Post by anthony »

cbonallo wrote:Does IM have a temp area it could be holding onto images in?
Any tmp is only used during IM processing (usally /tmp)

between commands nothing is retained, unless you specifically write the image yourself.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
cbonallo

Post by cbonallo »

So it's me again. Just had some more images pointed out to me that fit the discribed issue that we had over a year ago. I don't know how to fix this. If I can write to a clean directory and have these images come up wrong then how can I fix this? I was thinking of added a delete to it first, but since it is doing it on new images then that will not help... This is so weird.
anthony

Post by anthony »

You can have ImageMagick write to a temp area directly. I do this all the time in scripts.

the key however is insuring your scripts 'temps' get properly cleaned up and removed when the script is finished with them.
AND your scripts temps do not interfere with those of a second run of the same script at teh same time.

For solutions look at the IM Examples script...
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scripts/multi_crop
which needs one temporary image file.

Or if you are generating lots of temporary images look at
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scripts/de-pixelate
which creates a temporary directory just for that script.

Both uses shell 'traps' to automatically clean up on shell exit (or error).
cbonallo

Post by cbonallo »

So I am copying to a temp directory and sending error to a log. When ti is succesfully resizing and copying the images I get this???

convert.exe: unable to open image `/': Permission denied @ blob.c/OpenBlob/2480.
1 file(s) copied.
anthony

Post by anthony »

cbonallo wrote:So I am copying to a temp directory and sending error to a log. When ti is succesfully resizing and copying the images I get this???

convert.exe: unable to open image `/': Permission denied @ blob.c/OpenBlob/2480.
1 file(s) copied.

Well opening a directory, especially the "/" root system directory does not work very well!

Looks like some of your input arguments have gone screwy or has unexpected spaces, or quoting problems.

If I see the above I start to think I have something like "$dir/$file" and for some reason both variables were miss-spelled or undefined, so the get replaced with blanks. producing "/" which is nonsensical!
cbonallo

Post by cbonallo »

Thanks. From another post I found it appears it doesn't like the spaces. However, the script runs fine! So I'm ignoring this for now. No sense in uninstalling ImageMagick and reinstalling for the fun of it...