extracting PNG images from PSD file yields distorted images

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
taquicito

extracting PNG images from PSD file yields distorted images

Post by taquicito »

Hi,

When I use "convert homepage.psd out.png" only image [0] is good. The other images are distorted (they contain lots of noise). I'm using ImageMagick 6.5.7-8 distributed with Ubuntu but also compiled 6.6.3-1 from source and got the same result.

Identify outputs this for the file:
homepage.psd PSD 950x829 950x829+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 14.7MiB 0.120u 0:00.079
http://rapidshare.com/files/407579448/i ... -small.zip (433 kB) contains the verbose output of identify, one distorted PNG file and the same file as it should look. I obtained the PNG file as it should look with The Gimp.

http://rapidshare.com/files/407580425/imagemagick.zip (11.6 MB) contains the PSD file and the files that are also in the other download.

Please let me know if I can provide more information. I don't have Photoshop so I cannot send other PSD files.

Thanks and kind regards,
Taco
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: extracting PNG images from PSD file yields distorted ima

Post by fmw42 »

the first frame (in IM [0]) of a psd file is usually the composite of all the other psd layers. so you generally only need the first frame.
Drarakel
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: extracting PNG images from PSD file yields distorted ima

Post by Drarakel »

But it would be nice to have the other layers. I have this problem, too, with a few PSDs.
(And in some PSDs, there is no layer '0'. Only "This layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image". And if it's CMYK, I can't open it with Gimp. :))