strange tiff tags (bug or not ?)

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
kriks

strange tiff tags (bug or not ?)

Post by kriks »

Hi!

We have some warnings on tiff pictures, but don't know if this is a bug, it seems those are warnings :

Code: Select all

identify: VRA1330.tif: unknown field with tag 282 (0x11a) encountered. `TIFFReadCustomDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.
identify: VRA1330.tif: unknown field with tag 283 (0x11b) encountered. `TIFFReadCustomDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.
identify: VRA1330.tif: unknown field with tag 296 (0x128) encountered. `TIFFReadCustomDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.
identify: VRA1330.tif: unknown field with tag 306 (0x132) encountered. `TIFFReadCustomDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.
identify: VRA1330.tif: unknown field with tag 40961 (0xa001) encountered. `TIFFReadCustomDirectory' @ tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/526.
IM : 6.5.1-0

any thought ?
magick
Site Admin

Re: strange tiff tags (bug or not ?)

Post by magick »

Warning can be safely ignored. If it was problematic, ImageMagick throws an error instead. These warnings are pretty common with TIFF. Your TIFF image has a proprietary tag so it is ignored (other than a warning).
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

You can get IM to shutup about these warnings using -quiet ... +quiet during the reading of the TIFF

OR you can tell IM to abort on these warning by using -regard-warning

See Im Examples, Basics, Operational Controls
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#quiet
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
kriks

Post by kriks »

thanks for those informations.
I was wondering, because of thi page http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff ... eline.html where most of those tags seems pretty basic, and not proprietary.

thanks!
Heiler81
Authentication code: 8675309

Post by Heiler81 »

I got that bug when there is no Ghostscripted installed. Also happens with some eps. After i installed GS that message didn´t appear! Try to check it out at my system that was the problem!
anjackson

Post by anjackson »

Sorry for stirring an old thread, but having hit this problem, I think I understand the issue. Those tag numbers are registered TIFF field tags, but the software we are using (Capture One) is duplicating this information in the EXIF tag section as well as the TIFF tag section. They are picked up correctly in the latter case, but when embedded in the EXIF section these are not recognised by the ImageMagick.

I would guess that TIFF/282 is not supposed to be the same as EXIF/282, so this is probably the correct behaviour. It would be nice if the error message could make this clearer, but I realise this might be difficult. On the other hand, perhaps it is legitimate to embed TIFF tags in the EXIF section, in which case ImageMagick should be able to extract the data. I would be glad to hear if anyone knows for sure.

Andy