display 6.5.4-8 - window frame sometimes lost

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
paschuller
Authentication code: 8675308

display 6.5.4-8 - window frame sometimes lost

Post by paschuller »

Hello,

With some images, "display" gets confused. Sorry for not being able to say it more precisely, but see below for a more extensive problem description.

System info:
* Opensuse 11.2, all updates installed
* "kwin -v" says:
Qt: 4.5.3
KDE: 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 0"
KWin: 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 0"

ImageMagick OpenSuse library info:
Imagemagick 6.5.4.8-3.7

from Display - Help - About Display:
ImageMagick 6.5.4-8 2009-10-24 Q16 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC

Problem description:

When image is loaded, a window frame is briefly visible, but then disappears. The image stays visible, and its area on the screen is
sensitive to mouse clicks, e.g., left mouse button to pop up a menu. When the image without window frame is viewed at double the size (left mouse click - View - Double Size), the original area on the screen indeed does show the image at double size, yet the area is not increased, although the little pan window appears. So parts of the image are not visible at all.

I also did the following test. I created resized versions of the original image with the command

Code: Select all

convert -resize pp% origima.png testima.png
with varying pp. Increasing pp and displaying them by

display testima.png
, at some point the window frame stayed visible. I cannot confirm any specific size pp_crit, yet had the impression that it had something to do with the fact that in the pan window it became possible to move the black outlined frame around. pp_crit increased with increased screen size, i.e., if I worked only with a laptop screen or had an external monitor connected and the desktop extended over the two screens.

One more test: When I said,

convert -resize 100% origima.png testima100p.png
and

display testima100p.png
, the behavior was as decribed above. When I said,

convert -resize 100% origima.png testima100p.jpg
and

display testima100p.jpg
, the window frame was shown correctly.

Thank you for looking into this matter and a solution.
Petr
Authentication code: 8675309

Re: display 6.5.4-8 - window frame sometimes lost

Post by Petr »

I can reproduce this behavior only for KDE4. It doesn't happen for me in GNOME or XFCE respectively.
Petr

Post by Petr »

Ok, I see :-).

That's not a bug, thats intended! Am I right? Try remove alpha channel from your picture. Unfortunately I use display rarely so I didn't see this more quickly.

Just curious -- why this works only for KDE?
Petr

Post by Petr »

paschuller wrote:
I also did the following test. I created resized versions of the original image with the command

convert -resize pp% origima.png testima.png
with varying pp. Increasing pp and displaying them by

display testima.png
, at some point the window frame stayed visible. I cannot confirm any specific size pp_crit, yet had the impression that it had something to do with the fact that in the pan window it became possible to move the black outlined frame around. pp_crit increased with increased screen size, i.e., if I worked only with a laptop screen or had an external monitor connected and the desktop extended over the two screens.
This one I can't reproduce. Which value of pp lead to window with its frame?