Error when merging pdf files: Postscript delegate failed

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
brian

Error when merging pdf files: Postscript delegate failed

Post by brian »

Hi

I'm trying to merge some pdf files using ImageMagick - I got the latest version running on Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.5.6-1 2009-09-14 Q16 OpenMP http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC

And I get the following error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>convert c:\snozone\sample.pdf c:\snozone\theraven.pdf c:\snozone\merge.pdf
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -d
NOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVI
CE=pnmraw" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" "-sOutputFile=C:/D
OCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-WyPR_zkJ" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/
magick-XKIYdJcD" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-0Z1zsrki" @ utility.c
/SystemCommand/1890.
convert: Postscript delegate failed `c:\snozone\sample.pdf': No such file or dir
ectory @ pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/630.
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -d
NOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVI
CE=pnmraw" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" "-sOutputFile=C:/D
OCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-C7Dcdovu" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/
magick-G45IkwDy" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Brian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-F9ymg_lO" @ utility.c
/SystemCommand/1890.
convert: Postscript delegate failed `c:\snozone\theraven.pdf': No such file or d
irectory @ pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/630.
convert: missing an image filename `c:\snozone\merge.pdf' @ convert.c/ConvertIma
geCommand/2819.

Using the same version on Red Hat Linux with the same input files works fine.
Is this a bug? Can anyone help?

thanks
Brian
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Error when merging pdf files: Postscript delegate failed

Post by fmw42 »

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian>convert -version
I am not a Windows user, but this location seems to be a very strange one for IM to be installed. Perhaps it cannot find other files it needs at that location.

Did you check to see where it was installed on the other computer where it works properly.

The message about the pdf file you are seeing is usually attributed to not having Ghostscript installed.

what do you get when you type:

convert -list configure

and look at the line that starts with DELEGATES. If it does not have gs listed, then GS is not installed.

If you installed from source, then you have to install all the delegate libraries for jpg, png, tif, ghostscript, etc. (and probably reinstall IM, but I am not sure, so just check convert -list configure after installing the delegates to see if they are there)

See http://www.imagemagick.org/download/delegates/

but I might search the web for more recent versions if you have to install any.
Last edited by fmw42 on 2009-09-17T10:12:28-07:00, edited 2 times in total.
brian

Post by brian »

Hi

thanks for the reply. convert is on the path so you can run it from anywhere. It's actually installed in the default location which is C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.6-Q16

cheers
Brian
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

see my edited notes above about Delegate libraries.
brian

Post by brian »

Very good! Thanks for that. I didn't have GS installed but to be honest I don't know why, as I downloaded the ImageMagick-6.5.6-1-Q16-windows-dll.exe. from here http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binar ... hp#windows

So is this an issue with my setup or with the ImageMagic executable?

cheers
Brian
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

You have to install GS yourself.
brian

Post by brian »

Ah, I see. I missed that in the documentation - it could be made a little clearer. Thanks for the pointers. It's working well now.