-despeckle ignores -limit switch

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
maga

-despeckle ignores -limit switch

Post by maga »

Running Version: ImageMagick 6.5.3-2 2009-06-01 Q16 OpenMP

While converting files using the -despeckle option, the process took up to 15 minutes for some wmz files, resulting in memory usage of 240MBytes and more. The limit settings were ignored.

Code: Select all

c:\temp>"c:\temp\convert.exe" +adjoin -resize "2048x2048>" -edge 0 -
negate -despeckle -sharpen 2 -depth 8 -limit map 20mb -limit memory 20mb -limit area 50m
b -limit disk 1mb "c:\temp\$TE56rho\image005.wmz" pnm:"c:\temp\$TE56
rho\PNM\image005.wmz_2pass2.pnm"
The original wmz file is only 13904 bytes, the resulting pnm file would grow to over 210 Megabytes.

As soon as the -despeckle option was removed, the -limit settings were honored immediately:

c:\temp>"c:\temp\convert.exe" +adjoin -resize "2048x2048>" -edge 0 -
negate -sharpen 2 -depth 8 -limit map 20mb -limit memory 20mb -limit area 50mb -
limit disk 1mb "c:\temp\$TE56rho\image005.wmz" pnm:"c:\temp\$TE56rho
\PNM\image005.wmz_2pass2.pnm"
convert.exe: Cache resources exhausted `c:/temp/magick-3y9t5DzL' @ cache.c/OpenPixelCache/3838.
convert.exe: Cache resources exhausted `c:/temp/magick-3y9t5DzL' @ cache.c/OpenPixelCache/3838
 `(null)' @ wmf.c/ReadWMFImage/2749.
convert.exe: Cache resources exhausted `c:/temp/magick-3y9t5DzL' @ cache.c/OpenPixelCache/3838.
The wmz file to be converted identifies as follows:

C:\temp>"C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.5.3-Q16\identify.exe" C:\temp\$TE56rho\image005.wmz
C:\temp\$TE56rho\image005.wmz=>C:/temp/magick-vtndjHgv WMF 12000x6030 12000x6030+0+0 16-bit DirectClass 17.8kb
Is there a chance to fix the -despeckle option to honor the -limit setting?
magick
Site Admin

Re: -despeckle ignores -limit switch

Post by magick »

Move the limit options to the front of the command line before the -despeckle option.
maga

Post by maga »

Thank you for the quick reply.
Moving the -limit options ahead of the -despeckle switch does not solve the issue.

As soon as the -despeckle switch is present, the conversion starts and only fails after several minutes of CPU 100% and Memory > 200MBytes. Without the -despeckle switch, the conversion fails immediately (as it should, according to the -limit switches).
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Post a URL to your image and the exact command you are using. We need to reproduce the problem before we can comment further.
maga

Post by maga »

I posted the exact commandlines above in my first post for both the OK and the NOK attempt.

Here is the link to the image as requested:
http://www.fortune.ch/images/image005.wmz

and here the same image in zipped form, allowing IE to download it:
http://www.fortune.ch/images/image005.zip
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We're using ImageMagick 6.5.3-3. This command worked for us and only used 14MB of memory:
  • convert -limit map 20mb -limit memory 20mb -limit area 50mb +adjoin -resize "2048x2048>" -edge 0 -negate -despeckle -sharpen 2 -depth 8 image005.wmz image.pnm
You can reduce memory requirements either further by using the Q8 version of ImageMagick. Your cache resources exhausted message was thrown because of your -limit disk option or you have run out of free space in your temporary disk directory.
maga

Post by maga »

Thank you. I apprechiate your quick reply very much.

While the conversion works with the version and the parameters you suggest, it takes a long time, high CPU and uses disk swapping to save RAM. This is what I try to avoid.

Is there a way to abort the conversion of an image as soon as the output would reach a size limit?

Of course I have put an upper limit on the input file size, but the problem is that a very small input file can produce a really huge output file which hogs the ressources both while processing and finally on the disk (only to be skipped by the next processing step).
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

When the disk limit is exceeded, processing stops for that image. We could add a processing time limit as well.

If pixels are cached to disk, the process is going to be slow. We did try your command on a modern Linux system with a Xeon processor with 16GB of memory and it ran in just over 1 second. If we removed the limits so the pixels are processed in memory, it took 1/2 second.
maga

Post by maga »

I wish I was able to splurge on memory... but unfortunately, there are still some Single-CPU, less-than-16GB-RAM machines out there.

A processing time limit would be perfect, if it is not too much trouble?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Ok, is that elapsed time or processor time limit?
maga

Post by maga »

Well... in my case, elapsed time would do the trick.

This would give the same time limit for various systems. While a fast system could process more data than an ancient relic within the same interval, the result would be predictable on all platforms.

As for the measuring unit, I would suggest milliseconds. The desired intervals would vary with the speed of the platform. Slow systems could use several seconds, minutes or even hours. Would a longint (1 to 2147483647) of milliseconds be reasonable for an elapsed time limit?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Most likely we would accept time values in the Internet date / time format so you can specify hundreds of seconds, seconds, minutes, hours, and days.
maga

Post by maga »

That would be brilliant, thank you!

Meanwhile, I noticed that if the -limit disk switch is set, the -limit memory is ignored.
Is that by design? I expected every limit to trigger independently.

Example:

Version: ImageMagick 6.5.3-3 2009-06-04 Q8

convert -limit map 20mb -limit memory 20mb -limit area 50mb +adjoin -resize "2048x2048>" -edge 0 -negate -despeckle -sharpen 2 -depth 8 image005.wmz image.pnm

The above command creates a 282mb temp file and uses a maximum of 21.5mb memory. The conversion is successful, no limit is triggered.

convert -limit disk 1mb -limit map 20mb -limit memory 20mb -limit area 50mb +adjoin -resize "2048x2048>" -edge 0 -negate -despeckle -sharpen 2 -depth 8 image005.wmz image.pnm

The above command creates no temp file immediately but uses 288mb memory from the start. The conversion finally fails because the disk limit is triggered as a temp file is created. The memory limit is ignored.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Limits only apply to the pixel cache. Add -debug cache to your command line to track how the pixel cache allocates its resources (memory, memory map, or disk).
maga

6.5.3-4 static binary download broken

Post by maga »

Thank you for implementing the time limit into 6.5.3-4.

The 6.5.3-4 dll build works as intended.

However, the static builds on the download page are only a third of the usual size.
The installed executables are all 180kb in size (same as the dll build). All executables fail to start with the error message "CORE_RL_wand_.dll not found".