Identify does not display any result for bmp

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Identify does not display any result for bmp

Post by fmw42 »

I don't know the answer about whether convert -format "%m" info: is more computationally burdensome that identify -format "%m".

I would doubt it was much. But hopefully Magick or Anthony can answer that question.

I still have no idea why you are the only one having this difficulty with that bmp image!

You likely can also add -ping to either to improve performance and then it might be able to get the %m without having to read the whole file, just the header. But again, that is a question for Magick or Anthony. But I doubt it hurts to add it. see http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#controls
sim123

Post by sim123 »

I am struggling with same issue, that why no one has this problem. When I switch to older version of IM (6.4.6-8) this problem no longer exists, so I would say there can not be any problem with my environment or Java for bmp images.

I would try to test identify on different version and wait for confirmation on convert overhead for now.

Thanks for the help.
sim123

Post by sim123 »

Can Anthony or Magick please confirm fmw42's suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

The '%m' should return the images 'format' that IM determined while reading it it. a identify -ping should be able to get that information without needing to fully decode the image.

however going back over this, and to the original discussion topic, I can't find the link to the BMP image that is causing all the problems.

Were we able to discount the possibility of multiple versions being installed?
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/