Making Problem

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
pgn674
Authentication code: 8675309

Making Problem

Post by pgn674 »

I am having some trouble installing ImageMagick on my Ubuntu Server 8.10 system. I am trying to install the latest version, 6.5.0-1, from source. The Ubuntu repositories have version 7:6.3.7.9.dfsg1-2ubuntu3 (intrepid), but I need to use SetPixel from PerlMagick, which doesn't work in that old version. The ./configure works OK, but the trouble comes when I try to do the make. It goes through a bunch of it, then freezes at the line

Code: Select all

/bin/bash ./libtool --silent --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./config     -fopenmp -g -O2 -Wall -W -pthread -MT wand/wand_libMagickWand_la-mogrify.lo -MD -MP -MF wand/.deps/wand_libMagickWand_la-mogrify.Tpo -c -o wand/wand_libMagickWand_la-mogrify.lo `test -f 'wand/mogrify.c' || echo './'`wand/mogrify.c
And by freeze, I mean it just stops scrolling up anything else. I've waited through 10 minutes, with it not doing anything. If I hit Ctrl-C, I get

Code: Select all

make[1]: *** [wand/wand_libMagickWand_la-mogrify.lo] Error 1
make: *** [all] Interrupt
I'm not sure if that error 1 is from my inturrupting it or not. If I run make again, it goes right back to that freezing line immediately. If I do the ./configure over again, then do the make again, it goes through everything all over again like it did originally, then feezes at that line.

Does anybody know why this might be happening?

BTW, I used this same process on my Ubuntu 8.10 (not server) system, and it worked just fine.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Making Problem

Post by magick »

The problem is likely your compiler optimizer. Try building with -O1 or remove the optimization and see if that fixes the problem. You can also try with the --disable-openmp option to the configure command script. Perhaps the OpemMP portion of your compiler has a bug. Its also possible that if you wait 30 minutes or more the compile may finish. The last option may be to find the compiler option that turns off inlining. You of course should not need to do any of this but clearly we have tickled a problem in the particular version of the compiler you are using.
pgn674
Authentication code: 8675309

Re: Making Problem

Post by pgn674 »

Aha, thanks for the waiting suggestion. This time I allowed it to go longer, 45 minutes I think, and the make completed with no errors. I kind of forgot that my server is actually a virtual machine with rather meager specs: 64 MB RAM, 256 MB swap space, 1 virtual CPU, and 5 GB disk space. But, for 7.50$/month (RapidXen), it works for me. Thanks again, magick.