PCD => JPEG conversion broke between 6.4.0 and 6.4.8?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
fearless_fool

PCD => JPEG conversion broke between 6.4.0 and 6.4.8?

Post by fearless_fool »

I have two machines, both running Mac OS 10.5.6. Machine A has convert version 6.4.0, Machine B has convert version 6.4.8.

Consider the following command:

Code: Select all

% convert "./test/IMG0101.PCD[4]" -quality 100 "./test/IMG0101.jpg"
Machine A, running convert version 6.4.0, produces the desired results: a 1536 x 1024 jpeg file that looks accurate.

Machine B, running convert version 6.4.8, produces a 1536 x 1024 jpeg with a mangled color map: white areas render as predominantly green, and other parts appear to be "solarized".

Side note 1: Machine B produces the same mangled color map regardless of the "index" (size) argument (e.g. the [4] in the example above).

Side note 2: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8685&hilit=pcd makes passing reference to mangled colors, but was referring to version 6.3.3.

Side note 3: Both versions of convert complain about "Corrupt PCD image, skipping to sync byte" when the index is 5 or larger, however it doesn't appear to affect the output. I will file this as a separate bug report if anyone cares.

Let me know if I can provide files for tests or other additional information that will help get to the root cause.

Thanks!

--ff
fearless_fool

Re: PCD => JPEG conversion broke between 6.4.0 and 6.4.8?

Post by fearless_fool »

P.S.: Belying my status as a port neophyte, why does uninstall/install ImageMagick on Machine A re-install 6.4.0 rather than upgrade to 6.4.8? I thought the contract of uninstall was to get rid of the module altogether, and the contract of install was to fetch the latest version. I only ask here in case it somehow indicates a library mis-match which could lead to the observed problem.

-ff