ImageMagick 6.4.7-6 Segmentation Fault, Memory Allocation

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
jgeerdes

ImageMagick 6.4.7-6 Segmentation Fault, Memory Allocation

Post by jgeerdes »

Just installed ImageMagick 6.4.7-6 on my OS X 10.3.9 (PPC64) server. It's my first ImageMagick install, so I'm a little out of my league here. When I call convert from the command line, it seems to work fine for png and gif files; when I call it for jpg files, it fails with a segmentation fault. Further, the objective is actually to deploy this in a Perl application, but Image::Magick is throwing a memory allocation error for any file type. gdb says only that there are three outdated dylib files, and they will be ignored. And I could definitely be missing something there. I have been beating my head for a few days now; looking for any insights you might have. Thanks.
magick
Site Admin

Re: ImageMagick 6.4.7-6 Segmentation Fault, Memory Allocation

Post by magick »

Although it should not fault-- its possible you did not include JPEG when you built ImageMagick. Type
  • identify -list configure
Is JPEG associated with the DELEGATES tag? Did you try installing ImageMagick with the MacPorts? See http://globalmoxie.com/blog/imagemagick ... -osx.shtml.
jgeerdes

Post by jgeerdes »

Thank you very, very much for the prompt reply. According to identify -list configure, jpeg is indeed included in the list of DELEGATES. I did not install using MacPorts, but from source. I have copied the complete output from the identify command below:

Path: /usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.4.7/config/configure.xml

Name Value
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CC gcc -std=gnu99
CFLAGS -g -O2 -Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE
CONFIGURE ./configure '--prefix=/usr'
COPYRIGHT Copyright (C) 1999-2009 ImageMagick Studio LLC
CPPFLAGS -I/usr/include/ImageMagick
CXX g++
CXXFLAGS -g -O2 -Wall -W -D_THREAD_SAFE
DEFS -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
DELEGATES bzlib jpeg png zlib
DISTCHECK_CONFIG_FLAGS --disable-deprecated --with-quantum-depth=16 --with-umem=no --with-autotrace=no --with-fontconfig=no --with-fontpath= --with-rsvg=no --with-xml=no
EXEC-PREFIX /usr
HOST powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
LDFLAGS -L/usr/lib
LIB_VERSION 0x647
LIB_VERSION_NUMBER 6,4,7,6
LIBS -lMagickCore -ljpeg -lbz2 -lz -lm -lpthread
NAME ImageMagick
PCFLAGS
PREFIX /usr
QuantumDepth 16
RELEASE_DATE 2008-12-11
VERSION 6.4.7
WEBSITE http://www.imagemagick.org

Thank you for any further insight you might have.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce your problem and don't have a clue why its failing. You could post a stack trace from gdb and that might help. Otherwise we recommend installing ImageMagick with MacPorts which should resolve your problem.