Installation from source bugs

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
Luminescence

Installation from source bugs

Post by Luminescence »

I had to install from source on debian since I wanted to use the --without-x option and ran into a couple of resolved problems. Everything appeared to install fine but then when I tried to run "convert" it couldn't find its libraries. Typing ldconfig fixed this however the installation script should do this.

Then convert would not recognize jpegs. This was apparently because I did not have the debian packages libjpeg62 and libjpeg62-dev installed. It would be nice if the configure script would have told me that I was missing jpeg library support though, that took me a while to hunt down. Especially after I explicitly gave --with-jpeg=yes to the configure options.

Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for the great software.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Installation from source bugs

Post by magick »

The configure script does report if a particular delegate library is not validated. JPEG for example reports
  • JPEG v1 --with-jpeg=yes no
The --with-jpeg=yes means that ImageMagick is looking for the JPEG delegate library. However, the subsequent no means the JPEG library is not validated. After you install ImageMagick, you can determine which delegate libraries are installed by reviewing the DELEGATES tag from this command:
  • identify -list configure
Luminescence

Re: Installation from source bugs

Post by Luminescence »

magick wrote:The configure script does report if a particular delegate library is not validated. JPEG for example reports
  • JPEG v1 --with-jpeg=yes no
The --with-jpeg=yes means that ImageMagick is looking for the JPEG delegate library. However, the subsequent no means the JPEG library is not validated. After you install ImageMagick, you can determine which delegate libraries are installed by reviewing the DELEGATES tag from this command:
  • identify -list configure
I saw those messages. At least for me, they were not clear for me what to do next. I had no idea what a delegate library was. I'm just saying the messages might be more clearly worded - like - you don't have the jpeg libraries.