Memory Issue

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
strudel67

Memory Issue

Post by strudel67 »

Ok - I have posted here a couple of times about a memory issue that causes our server to become unresponsive but I wasn't able to narrow it down. I have narrowed it down to this command... I know that this command is formatted incorrectly and this is not the actual command that was causing the issues in our php script but I did try some various things just to see if I could recreate something that would cause the system memory issue and here is that command...

/usr/local/bin/convert -size 850x540 -size 850x540 xc:none none -fill black -font -pointsize 40 caption:"This is the main description area and can be of much greater length..." /home/listingsmagic/public_html//im/temp/new/test_description_canvas_text.png

Version: ImageMagick 6.3.9 03/20/08 Q16
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Memory Issue

Post by fmw42 »

strudel67 wrote:Ok - I have posted here a couple of times about a memory issue that causes our server to become unresponsive but I wasn't able to narrow it down. I have narrowed it down to this command... I know that this command is formatted incorrectly and this is not the actual command that was causing the issues in our php script but I did try some various things just to see if I could recreate something that would cause the system memory issue and here is that command...

/usr/local/bin/convert -size 850x540 -size 850x540 xc:none none -fill black -font -pointsize 40 caption:"This is the main description area and can be of much greater length..." /home/listingsmagic/public_html//im/temp/new/test_description_canvas_text.png

Version: ImageMagick 6.3.9 03/20/08 Q16
I don't know if this is just a typo or your problem, but you have -size 850x540 twice in succession. That is probably not a good idea.

You also have two // in succession:

public_html//im

What happens if you make the output to your default directory rather than giving it a path?
strudel67

Post by strudel67 »

Yes - I do realize that the command is not a valid command. I had a whole series of commands that I was calling from a php script and periodically one would cause my server to become unresponsive as the memory would go to zero. So I then tried to figure out which command was causing this to happen and I finally figured out which one - it is not how I called it from my script as that changes - so I just tried some things and this particular command structure (as off as it is) causes the memory issue so I thought it would be valuable since the imagemagick app shouldn't cause something like that to happen? or maybe it's not valuable - I just know that I can replicate it and figured someone should know. I have it working fine now - or at least so far so good...
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Your command behaves for us using ImageMagick 6.4.4-10, the current release. It properly reports a command line syntax error:
  • convert: unable to load font `-pointsize'
If we specify a font, we get
  • convert: unable to open image `none':
If we remove the extra 'none' we get a proper command and it completes without complaint.