identify.exe and convert.exe crashes on DICOM image

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
erhhung

identify.exe and convert.exe crashes on DICOM image

Post by erhhung »

I have a DICOM X-ray image that I'd like to convert into JPEG with ImageMagick. However, both identify.exe and convert.exe on Windows (version 6.3.6 10/29/07 Q8) crash after a few seconds of processing. I tried converting the .dcm file with the popular freeware ezDICOM, and have no problem, so I believe the file is fine.

Code: Select all

identify.exe -format "%m %w %h %z %r" DICOM.dcm
convert.exe DICOM.dcm -thumbnail 160x120 -colorspace RGB DICOM.jpg
I know there is a more recent release (6.3.7), but I haven't read about any discussion saying that the DICOM reader has been enhanced in any way. Can someone on the development team take a look at this file and tell me what I can do?

The 4.5 MB file I used can be found here:
http://home.comcast.net/~erhhung/temp/DICOM.dcm

Thanks
Erhhung
magick
Site Admin

Re: identify.exe and convert.exe crashes on DICOM image

Post by magick »

We have a patch for the problem you reported. Your image contains a JPEG image that is most likely lossless because an exception is thrown: Unsupported JPEG process: SOF type 0xc3. Lossless JPEG requires a patch to the JPEG delegate library. The Windows version of ImageMagick does not include this patch.
erhhung

Post by erhhung »

Thanks for the diagnosis. Ok, I have read in other forum messages that lossless JPEGs are not supported and a patch to the delegate library must be done. So, is this patch going to make it into the standard/official Windows build for the next release? (it seems that a new release is posted every month or so). I can wait a little while until the fix is officially distributed, but if there's no plan for this, then I guess I'll have to investigate how to apply this patch.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We have no plans to apply the JPEG lossless patch to the ImageMagick Windows distribution.
erhhung

Post by erhhung »

Just for my curiosity, what is the reasoning behind not including the patch, if it would obviously fix a bug with converting DICOM images (it does seem that many DICOM systems output embedded lossless JPEG images). Is it too much effort for the benefit, it's not a priority among too many to-do's, there's a legal issue including the patch for Windows, etc. Thanks.
erhhung

Post by erhhung »

I have tried downloading the IPG's libjpeg-6b source code as well as the ljpeg-6b patch for lossless JPEG support, but I'm having a hard time trying to compile the source files on a Windows VS2005 dev environment as it's all geared towards running configure and make on a Unix machine. I also couldn't get Makefile.vc and jconfig.vc files working in my environment, so I'm wondering if anyone has already done this and can make the patched JPEG delegate DLL available somewhere.

I assume the replacement DLL replaces "CORE_RL_jpeg_.dll"?

Thanks.