failure building 6.3.5-9

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
magick
Site Admin

Re: failure building 6.3.5-9

Post by magick »

No worries mate. Like we said, we saw that the differential was insignificant so we're not concerned. However to bring you piece of mind, you could wait for the ImageMagick 6.3.5-10 release on September 21 that has all the nits you posted repaired.
mleo999

Post by mleo999 »

Is the new release still on for tomorrow?

I'm also have the problems with t/blot.t on Fedora 6

[root@starbuck ImageMagick-6.3.5]# uname -a
Linux starbuck.mmleo.com 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:20 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@starbuck ImageMagick-6.3.5]# cat /etc/issue
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
Kernel \r on an \m

[root@starbuck ImageMagick-6.3.5]#

Here is the output:

========================================================
All 696 tests behaved as expected (33 expected failures)
cd PerlMagick && make CC='gcc' test
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick'
/bin/sh ../magick.sh PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/bzlib/*.t t/jpeg/*.t t/png/*.t t/tiff/*.t t/zlib/*.t
t/blob............Can't load '/usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick/blib/arch/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so' for module Image::Magick: libgomp.so.1: shared object cannot be dlopen()ed at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at t/blob.t line 7
Compilation failed in require at t/blob.t line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/blob.t line 7.
Deep recursion on subroutine "Image::Magick::AUTOLOAD" at /usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick/blib/lib/Image/Magick.pm line 42.
Out of memory!

make[2]: *** [test_dynamic] Interrupt
make[1]: *** [check-perl] Interrupt
make: *** [check-am] Interrupt

magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Add --disable-openmp to your configure script command line. This turns off the libgomp dependency. OpenMP/PerlMagick works without complaint with Fedora Core 7.
mleo999

Post by mleo999 »

I'm trying that now. I can't upgrade to FC 7 for other reasons.

FYI ...

I had to delete the source tree and unpack again because
the "make distclean" and "make clean" targets both fail with

rm -rf ltdl/.libs ltdl/_libs
rm -rf magick/.libs magick/_libs
rm -rf wand/.libs wand/_libs
/bin/sh ./libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -W -pthread -fopenmp -no-undefined -version-info 4:0:1 -fopenmp -lfreetype -o ltdl/libltdl.la ltdl/ltdl.lo -ldl
libtool: link: warning: `-version-info/-version-number' is ignored for convenience libraries
ar: ltdl/.libs/ltdl.o: No such file or directory
make: *** [ltdl/libltdl.la] Error 1
mleo999

Post by mleo999 »

Same problem after using ./configure --disable-openmp

All 696 tests behaved as expected (33 expected failures)
cd PerlMagick && make CC='gcc' test
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick'
/bin/sh ../magick.sh PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/bzlib/*.t t/jpeg/*.t t/png/*.t t/tiff/*.t t/zlib/*.t
t/blob............Can't load '/usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick/blib/arch/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so' for module Image::Magick: libgomp.so.1: shared object cannot be dlopen()ed at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at t/blob.t line 7
Compilation failed in require at t/blob.t line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/blob.t line 7.
Deep recursion on subroutine "Image::Magick::AUTOLOAD" at /usr/local/src/ImageMagick-6.3.5/PerlMagick/blib/lib/Image/Magick.pm line 42.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We have a patch in ImageMagick 6.3.5-10, scheduled for release within a week or two, that prevents libgomp from being included if the --disable-openmp option is given on the configure command line. That patch should fix the problem you reported.
mleo999

Post by mleo999 »

Well ... I downloaded 6.3.5-10, and now the "make check" passes. However,
when working on Bugzilla and running the checksetup.pl script, I'm still getting
the same error:

Deep recursion on subroutine "Image::Magick::AUTOLOAD" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Image/Magick.pm line 42, <DATA> line 228.

and eventually running out of memory. So it seems that 6.3.5-10 builds
and checks better, but still has the same bug?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We of course validate each release on 7 different platforms before a release and none gave us the deep recursion error. ImageMagick installs in /usr/local by default. Do you have /usr/local/lib in your ldconfig path? Do you have an older version of ImageMagick installed that may be getting loaded instead of ImageMagick 6.3.5-10?
mleo999

Post by mleo999 »

I made absolutely sure there wasn't any remnants of older versions of ImageMagick. I removed all the perl modules very carefully. I re-installed it all from the latest source. Same problem. Thanks for your help. I'm out of time to figure this out so I have to move on and not use the package.