Hardware recommandation?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
sven

Hardware recommandation?

Post by sven »

Hi magick,

can you please tell me, if there is a hardware recommandation for executing ImageMagick in a 64-bit environment?

I wonder, whether it is more advisable to get a 2x Intel Dual Core system (each 3,0 GHz) or a 2x Intel Quad Core system (each 2,66 GHz).
Will ImageMagick profit more from one of these systems?

Are the any other hardware recommandations except for plenty of RAM and fast hard disk?

Kind regards
Sven
magick
Site Admin

Re: Hardware recommandation?

Post by magick »

We have a 3ghz 64-bit dual-core processor with 16GB of memory and most ImageMagick commands finish before we are done typing them on the command line. Memory is the most important factor because ImageMagick pushes pixels to disk if the image exceeds the available memory. If pixels are forced to disk, a 15K SAS drive is probably best. For additional speed, use the Q8 version of ImageMagick rather than the default Q16. In the mean-time we are working on threading some algorithms so they can take advantage of dual/quad-core processors.
sven

Re: Hardware recommandation?

Post by sven »

Thank you very much for your answer!

Kind regards
Sven